This year’s program theme is Defying Hate, based on the recent release of the Ken Burns documentary about UUSC founders Martha and Waitstill Sharp, Defying the Nazis: The Sharps’ War (on PBS). The Sharps defied hate by helping Jews and dissidents escape Nazi Germany using brave, creative methods, many of which could have caused them to be imprisoned, tortured, or worse.
UU Community of Lake County is proud to join with UUSC to carry forward the Sharps’ legacy by continuing to defy hate and protect the lives and rights of refugees, asylum seekers, and other marginalized groups.
Every household in our congregation who wishes to participate in Guest At Your Table will receive a clever little box which we will keep on our dining tables during the season. As we enjoy a meal, we are encouraged to drop a few coins into the box. Our donations will be combined and sent to UUSC to help with their human rights work in the US and around the world. Each of us will have had a small part in helping with this important work.
Schedule for GAYT for UUCLC
- Sunday, November 20
- Explain and kick off the project, including participating in the service and giving out boxes to households
- Boxes available throughout the project on the Welcome Table
- Families may bring in money from their boxes during the 7 week project, but may continue to collect money
- Sunday, January 8
- Collect boxes and final donations
- Sunday, January 15
- Give congregation the final tally of amount we donated